Reiki Joshin Kokyo Ho Meditation (Reiki Breath Meditation)
by Cosmic Healer Lilian Jarales-Hewlett
Reiki Joshin Kokyu Ho Meditation is one the first meditation that we learn in our Reiki First Degree and will always be a part of our advanced practice.
Joshin means focusing the mind.
Kokyo means breath or respiration.
Ho means method.
Therefore, Reiki Joshin Kokyo Ho means a method of meditation focusing on the breath. This is a single-pointed meditation focusing on using Rei-ki to feel our breath and develop our hara. Hara is the point of energy where we integrate our soul and our physical nature. When we are connected with our hara, our soul directs our physical life on earth. Our actions are soul-driven from the higher consciousness. The main objective of this meditation is to connect to our core which is our True Self.
It is suggested that one practices the Reiki Joshin Kokyo Ho for a minimum of 6 months before doing more advanced Reiki Meditation. This is to ensure that one develops the form and practice of meditation and gets benefit from the practice. In this way, one can comprehend and learn deeply the nature of this meditation.
Direction on How To Do the Reiki Joshin Kokyo Ho
(Find a quiet space. It is better to sit on floor while doing the meditation. Be sure that the floor is not too cold to sit upon. You can be in a lotus position or in a position that is comfortable to you. Sit with head, neck, and body aligning with each other.)
1. Begin with observing the Kenyoko Ho (cleansing technique). Breath in, place the right hand on the left shoulder. Breath out, sweep down the right hand to the right waist. Breath in, place the left hand on the right shoulder. Breath out, sweep down the left hand to the left waist.
Breath in, place the right hand on the left shoulder with the left arm raised on the shoulder level. Breath out, sweep the right hand above the left arm down to the tip of the finger. Breath in, move the right hand up to the left armpit. Breath out, sweep the right hand below the left arm down to the tip of the finger.
Breath in, place the left hand on the right shoulder with the right arm raised on the shoulder level. Breath out, sweep the left hand above the right arm down to the tip of the finger. Breath in, move the left hand up to the right armpit. Breath out, sweep the left hand below the right arm down to the tip of the finger.
2. Do the Gassho position (the praying position with hands resting on your chest area). In this position, intend to connect to your body, mind and spirit. Relax your body and release all the tensions.
3. Put your hands on the forehead and ask the Reiki to flow unto you for the meditation.
4. Once ready, put your hands on your lap with palms facing up.
5. Begin breathing through your nose. Feel the Reiki with your breath.
6. Once you feel that you are one with your breath, breath in by focusing on your hara (the point of energy two inches below the navel). As you breath out, expand the Reiki Breath all through out your body. You may feel it through your skin.
7. Continue the Reiki Breath through your hara and expanding it more from your body to your surroundings.
8. Be aware that your connection to your hara and your energy is going stronger and stronger. Your light body is expanding and connecting you to the Highest Source.
9. Continue to do this for a minimum of 10 mins for a start. Then later, in the coming practice with a longer duration that is comfortable to you.
10. End the session in a gassho position with reciting the Reiki Precepts.